Friday, April 24, 2020

Why Water Matters

Moulton Falls in Southwestern Washington

Did you know that the average adult body is 60% water?

Heart and Brain = 
73% water
 Lungs = about 83% water
Skin = 64% water
Muscles and kidneys = 79% water
Bones = 31% water

What does water do for us?


Increases energy
Clearer brain function
Helps with constipation
Promotes weight loss
Improves skin
Reduces Fatigue & headaches
Flushes waste though urine and sweat
Improves immune system
Forms saliva
Lubricates joints
Regulates our internal body temperature
And much more!

Just reading through this list should make us all want to
add more water into our diets! But, think of all the money
you'll be saving and calories you will be reducing when you choose water over soda, juice, coffee, and energy drinks. 

Now picture some of the side effects of not staying hydrated.

Lethargic
Brain fog
Bound up
Weight gain
Dry, blemished, saggy skin
Fatigue
Headaches
Toxic buildup
More colds & sickness
Dry mouth
Achy joints and muscles
Heat exhaustion

Hmm... not too hard for me to choose which list I like better.


If you've been adding more water and still aren't feeling any benefits, it could be that you are needing more electrolytes (magnesium, calcium, potassium & sodium). 
These are needed to stay hydrated and balanced.

The good thing is is that fruits and vegetables are packed with electrolytes! So make sure you are adding color to you plate!

Another way to get electrolytes is through all-natural salt 
(not the table salt in the grocery store). 
Himalayan, Celtic, or Real Salt are good ones. 

And finally, you gotta keep your circulation up by moving,
which helps you stay hydrated as well.
Keep doing quick bursts of exercise or go out
for a nice walk.

I hope this little review helps you, like it has me, to 
remember how important water really is!


Here's a recipe that my daughter created for a healthy and delicious breakfast drink. 
Makes a super-sized serving.






Big handful spinach
small handful walnuts
1/4 avocado
1/2 orange
1 small frozen banana
1 Tbs. hemp seeds
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
Raw honey (1-3 tsp.)
1 TBS. lemon juice
water, if needed

Blend well in blender & enjoy!






If you don't have all these ingredients try this simple one.

Big handful of any greens
1/2 cup water
1/4 lemon, peeled & seeded
1/2 banana
1 cup berries or other fruit
raw honey, if desired
pinch of salt, if desired

I want to end with this reminder. Our greatest need 
is for the "Living Water". 

"Jesus answered her, 'If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you Living Water.'... 
'but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.' The woman said to Him, 'Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.' " From John chapter 4 ESV


Like the woman at the well, I was seeking
For things that could not satisfy.
And then I heard my Savior speaking—
"Draw from My well that never shall run dry."
Fill my cup, Lord;
I lift it up Lord;
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul.
Bread of Heaven, feed me till I want no more.
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole.

There are millions in this world who are seeking
For pleasures earthly goods afford.
But none can match the wondrous treasure
That I find in Jesus Christ my Lord.

Fill my cup, Lord;
I lift it up Lord;
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul.
Bread of Heaven, feed me till I want no more.
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole.
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole.




3 comments:

  1. Interesting side note: Studies show that carbonated (sparkling) water works best for constipation. Just check ingredients to make sure it's only carbonated water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder, and I do like that song too .. brings back memories of listening to family sing it:) Think I will try one of those green drinks today.. sounds yummy:) I always try to add some good salt to my drinks. Not only is it good for health, it makes it taste better! ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've always liked that song! I should start adding a pinch of salt to my plain water.

      I'm looking forward to watermelon season. We always chunk and freeze our overripe watermelons and make slushies! Add a whole fresh lemon and a little salt. Beyond yummy!

      Delete